Feb 8, 2010

Adonai - Lord

Study on the Names of God with Yolanda at Joy Comes in the Morning.
Studying from Kay Arthur's, Lord I Want to Know You and Ann Spangler's, Praying the Names of God.

The Name Adonai, or Adonay is first used in Genesis 15:2. When Abram first speaks to God about not having an heir, he refers to God as Adonai. Adonai appear in the bible as Lord, not to be confused with LORD which we will discuss next week. The definition of Lord is Master. Adon describes the one who occupies the position of master over a slave or servant. When applied to God it signifies His position as the One who is Master over His people, with full authority to reward and punish. In the form of Adonai, the word means Lord par exellence or Lord over all.

One thing that strikes me is that Lord is probably the most widely used term used by Christians to refer to God. I have to wonder how many of us know, consider, and take seriously what we are actually saying when using Lord in prayer and conversation. The bible says we should not misuse the name of the LORD, which says that God takes it seriously.
"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7

Even though this uses the Name LORD, we need to apply the heart of the command that God's Name is to be held in honor and used appropriately in every form. When God commissioned Moses to go to Pharoah, Moses really didn't want to go. This is how part of the conversation went.

Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord (Adonai), I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." But Moses said, "O Lord (Adonai), please send someone else to do it." Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses... Exodus 4:10:14 (emphasis mine)

I have often wondered why God was so angry with Moses when there are other's in the bible who appeared to be pointing out to God how inadequate they were for what God was calling them to do. Moses was calling God Adonai, Lord, Master, but was not responding to God's direction as a true servant. Moses was misusing the Name Adonai.

A servant is owned by his master and has no claim at all on his own life. His position states his purpose for life, to do his master's will 100% of the time. He is not merely an employee who clocks out at the end of the day and goes home to live out his own life as he pleases, he is at the service and direction of his master all the time. He is also completely dependent on his master for all things.

The master has the responsibility of taking care of his servant's every need including food, clothing, shelter, and protection. It is also the master's responsibilty to equip his servant for whatever task he is required to carry out. A master doesn't require a servant to cook a meal without providing the food, or make a purchase without providing the funds for it. He must supply what is necessary to carry out his directives.

How does Adonai apply to or impact my life?
My heart is with Kay's on this. Jesus can't be your Savior until He is your Lord. (Master, Owner, Ruler, Commanding Officer) When we give our lives to Christ, we are not simply accepting salvation, we are handing over Lordship of our lives to Jesus Christ. This is what it means to follow Christ. If God is really our Adonai, then our thoughts and actions should always be on serving our Master and trusting Him to take care of all our needs.

Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me. John 12:26

How does the Name Adonai impact your life?





Ask me about a blog design for your Christian Ministry

"A girl needs to be so lost in God, that the guy is going to have to seek HIM to find her!" ...Maya Angelou

15 comments:

Andrea said...

AMEN...."Jesus can't be your Savior until HE is your LORD." AMEN..AMEN..and again AMEN!!

Blessings and hugs, andrea

Karen Hossink said...

Yes!
I once heard someone say how backwards it is for a person to say, "No, Lord." If He really IS our Master - who will take care of us and provide what we need (and we're so willing to receive that, aren't we?) then our only response to Him can be an all out, YES!

So I say, YES!!!

Charity Nee said...

cool... :)

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis,
Amen and Amen!!! Adonai my savior, my King , my all and all.
How are you doing??? You changed your blog, gee you are good lol and gifted. I have to get with you and talk about some changes on mine. Your grand daughters are getting so big and beautiful.. Just like Grandma.

Luv Ya Lorie

Lisa Smith said...

i love adonai!

Yolanda said...

Edie,

I'm so blessed to have you along side me on this Journey of learning the Names of God. I grow and learn just by sitting here at your feet as you splash your own learning onto others. THANK YOU!

With love,
Yolanda

Heidi said...

I always understood that whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved- meaning anyone from any nation. But how can they call on one in whom they do not believe Romans 10:13-14 I think for someone to call on the name of the Lord, he/she must believe at least a little bit- but learning what it is to have Him as Lord of your life- sometimes comes w/time, through struggle and in humility, by the grace of God, as we give up more and more of our selfishness- refocusing on Him- who He is: His character, what He's done for us.

The more we study the attributes of God, the more we fall in love with Him. Obedience begins to come more naturally, as we yearn to be more like our great loving God.

My ADHD Me said...

You are always speaking to me, even when you may not realize it.

I can complete relate to how Moses felt.

P.S. LOVED your DWV at kelly's blog. i had to write them down on my DWV list.

From the Heart said...

Great study. Yes, I want God to be Lord of my life.

Sue J. said...

I suspect the Latin word dominus has roots tied to the Hebrew. From 'dominus', the Spanish get their word 'lord', and we get the word don, meaning head of an organized-crime family.

Of course, this is far-removed when speaking of Adonai, the name of our most-high Lord. Interesting nonetheless.

We have much to learn from Moses, and 2Thinks is quite right to say that we continue to learn more and more about who God is as we grow in our relationship with Him. But, if we merely just believe and do not carry out that belief through our faith into action (works), then it's kind of like not have a relationship with Him. God isn't going to let that situation stand for long, just as He didn't let it stand for Moses.

Looking forward to learning the difference between Lord and LORD

Kelly said...

I had to laugh when I saw your comment at Sue's blog on 'don'. LOL!

This is all new stuff for me, so I am glad I read it. I think I do know that LORD is Yahweh or Jehovah, right? I know, you'll cover that next week. But I didn't know the history behind Lord. Thanks for the lesson!

Guess what? School was cancelled here again today. *sigh*

LisaShaw said...

Praise the LORD Edie!

Leaon Mary said...

Edie, I've loved following along with you and Yolanda through KA's study.
Been thinking of this week's name of God alot. Lord and Master. Making Jesus LORD of our lives. Coz there are a lot of people and things that tend to lord our lives ya know?

Hope yall are doing okay in Arlington! I'm so ready for spring aren't you?
My love to the girls and Tobi!

Sharon said...

I Love his names....this looks like a great study. looking forward to visiting again soon.. missed ya

Have a terrific weekend

Andrea said...

This message is for Ms. Olivia!

Olivia,
I hear you have "snow" in Texas. I love snow. My furry self loves to pounce around and play in the beautifully wondrous creation. I hope you are able to make a snowman or better yet.....a snow dog! Don't forget: GOD loves you and has big plans for you. Keep your focus on HIM.

Woofs, wags, and furry hugs,
Sitka