Mar 25, 2010

Jehovah-Mekoddishkem, The LORD Who Sanctifies You

Still joining Yolanda at Joy Comes in the Morning in our study of the Names of God from Kay Arthur's book LORD I Want To Know You. Ann Spangler does not mention this Name in her book Praying the Names of God.

Okay so the week is almost over and I'm just now getting this posted. My back has been out for almost two weeks and I haven't been able to do much but lay around. I'm so tired of laying around, not to mention all the other problems this is creating for me. I appreciate your prayers.

12 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”
18 And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God. Exodus 31:12-18 (emphasis mine)
 The word sanctify means to set apart or make holy. The Name Jehovah-Mekoddishkem comes from Exodus 31:13 as noted above. Jehovah referred to Himself by this Name when He gave Moses the command to keep the Sabbath. I never noticed before that Jehovah spells out the purpose for keeping the Sabbath here. It is to remember that in the same way that He made the Sabbath holy or set apart to the Israelites, He also made His People holy and set apart to Himself.

This was a reminder of His covenant promise that He is the One who sanctifies us. It is not of our own doing but it is worked out through our cooperative obedience to Him just as the Israelites were required to keep the Sabbath. As a matter of fact it's interesting to note that it was as Jehovah was giving the first laws (10 commandments) to Moses that He made Himself known as Jehovah-Mekoddishkem.


 7 "Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the LORD your God. 8 Keep my decrees and follow them. I am the LORD, who makes you holy." [aLeviticus 20:7-8
Footnotes: a: Leviticus 20:8 Or who sanctifies you ; or who sets you apart as holy








Ask me about a blog design for your Christian Ministry

"A girl needs to be so lost in God, that the guy is going to have to seek HIM to find her!" ...Maya Angelou

10 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This is one of those things that we "know," but to hear it again refreshes my soul: my sanctification doesn't depend on me.

{huge sigh of relief}

What a wonderful correlation, Edie. I never saw that before either...how He gave them the reason for their obedience regarding the Sabbath. All of God's Word is so applicable to us!

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, Edie, I'm so glad to see you here again. I've been thinking about you lots, hoping you're back is getting better.

Though I know God sometimes has a very good purpose for our pain.

And I am trusting Him for my sanctification. So thankful for His patience and perfect knowledge!

rcubes said...

I keep repeating it, saying His Holy Name out loud "Jehovah Mekoddishkem"...Just sounds so beautiful, but much more with the One Who owns it. My hubby, eating dinner, heard me, and so he asked what it was about. I told him, it's neat, sister Edie and others were doing this study of the Lord's many Names. He repeated after me... :)

We can't truly brag about anything but only boast in the Lord. Paul was right about that! I hope you're feeling even much better as you read this sister Edie. Take care. It's no fun to have those aches. I know whenever my neck [previous injury] acts up. God bless and be strong in the Lord's mighty power. Miss your posts. But I'm really glad to read this one. Glory to God!

Andrea said...

Beautiful....MY GOD SANCTIFIES! AMEN and Praise HIM who loves me most! HE loves me when no one else loves me! Oh, how I love HIM!
Hugs, andrea

Praying you are feeling better!

Tammy said...

I'm glad you're doing better.

I know that until Jesus comes, I will have to live in this world BUT I don't have to be apart of it!

Love ya,
Tammy

Sue J. said...

And maybe, when we don't keep the Sabbath as we ought, we begin to forget that we are God's chosen people--chosen to be holy and blameless in His sight, through Christ. When we lose sight of the special place we have in God's heart, we start that downward spiral, forgetting all His benefits and mercies, and forgetting that He is our God in so many other ways.

Yet another powerful name! Thanks for pulling it apart for us.

Heidi said...

Hope that back is healing up.

This post reminded me of something I read in Joshua Harris's book Dug Down Deep. He said from the moment we first believe til our dying breath, we are being sanctified- being made more and more like God, as we study his word and get to know his character, as we come to realize what he has done for us and what it truly means for us, as we commune with him through prayer. Every time we choose to follow in his way, every time we gain understanding of the Word by his Spirit....we are being sanctified...bit by bit...

I love that.

Your studies are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them.

From the Heart said...

A great post. I had never heard this name.

Hope your feeling better.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Edie:

This is one to claim!!! But we might have a hard time spelling it! Only God can sanctify us and that is an ongoing - forward movng - faith building - prgressive process.

We are justified once upon salvation but the sanctifying job is one that this Name of God does within us for the rest of our lives!

Beautiful post! Timely for Holy week coming!

{{HUGS}} Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Fresh Wind Solutions said...

Beautiful Post!