Mar 15, 2010

Jehovah-Nissi, Yahweh-Nissi, The LORD is My Banner

Studying the Names of God with Yolanda at Joy Comes in the Morning from the book LORD, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur. I am also studying from the book Praying the Names of God by Ann Spangler.

A banner is a symbol of identification. Unlike flags, ancient banners were usually emblems made of wood or metal that attached to the top of a staff or pole. It contained symbols that represented the ideals of whoever carried it so it aroused devotion to a nation, cause, or leader. A banner was generally a point of gathering for troops before a battle or announcement of victory after a battle was won, and it was carried, raised high before troops as they went out to battle.

8 The Amalekites came and attacked the Israelites at Rephidim. 9 Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some of our men and go out to fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on top of the hill with the staff of God in my hands."

 10 So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. 11 As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. 12 When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. 13 So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.

 14 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered and make sure that Joshua hears it, because I will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven."

 15 Moses built an altar and called it The LORD is my Banner. 16 He said, "For hands were lifted up to the throne of the LORD. The LORD will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation."  Exodus 17:8-16

This was the first battle that the Israelites faced after leaving Egypt. Kay taught us in a previous chapter that the first time one of the Names of God is used in the Bible is significant. I also learned in my Sunday school class this last week as we prepare to study Genesis, that the first time an event occurs is also significant. Isn't it just awesome the way God planned and organized the details of the Bible? Even in ways that are not at first obvious.

The Amalekites are a symbol of all the forces that oppose God, the spiritual battles that we continually face. Kay focused heavily on the battle we have with our flesh, of choosing to die to self. As we have been studying I have noticed that all of the Names and events where they first occur, point to Jesus in some way. In this case we see Jesus as our Banner. He is the One who was lifted up on the cross to defeat our spiritual enemy.

Notice in verse 14 it says Yahweh will completely blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. Then in verse 16 it says Yahweh will be at war against the Amalekites from generation to generation. Under the Banner of Jesus we have victory over the enemy even though he keeps forming attacks against us. Whether we are going through a physical battle or a spiritual battle, Jehovah-Nissi promises to be at war with our enemies.

Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1

...His banner over me is love. Song of Solomon 2:4








Ask me about a blog design for your Christian Ministry

"A girl needs to be so lost in God, that the guy is going to have to seek HIM to find her!" ...Maya Angelou

16 comments:

Dawning Inspiration said...

Holding on to Song of Soloman 2:4!!

My ADHD Me said...

Every night my son and I name 2-4 things we are each thankful for.

I am so happy that I got to get to know you!!

Andrea said...

Thankful for soooo very much!! HE is awesome!!
Hugs,
andrea

Yolanda said...

Edie,

I learn so much more about this study that we are doing together, when I come here to see what you've gleaned for the week.

I'm so thankful that He goes before us!!

With love,
Yolanda

Heart2Heart said...

Edie,

I love that we stand under the banner of Jesus Christ! It shows us the way we need to go if we are true followers of Him.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

TRUTH SHARER said...

This Name of God SPELLS VICTORY to me! It's that banner waving flag that only God GIVES!!!!

{{HUGS}} Stephanie

Karen Hossink said...

Hey, I just read a couple of your comments at Monkeys are Funny. Sounds like you have a physical battle going on with your back right now.
Father in heaven - our Banner - I pray for Edie right now, that You would fight this battle for her and bring her relief from the pain.
I'm asking it in the wonderful, powerful, beautiful, matchless Name of JESUS. Amen and amen!

Love you!

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

God is Awesome!

Do you remember the song "His Banner Over Me Is Love"? It keeps playing through my head now that I've read your post.

Kelly said...

I'm with Lee Ann, I'm singing "His Banner Over Me is Love." But also:

"We want to Jesus lifted high, a banner that flies across this land."

It's so amazing when I figure out that these songs actually have a "hidden" meaning! Wow!

Aunt Angie said...

Edie--I have just last week read that account...God is an awesome --powerful God!

I have MISSED getting online!! It seems like FOREVER! But I'm BAAAACK!

Finally! Whew! Maybe not every single day yet---but at least more than once a week!!!

Have a blessed evening! (It's after 9 here!)

Love you!!!

My ADHD Me said...

Hey. First of all, what happened to your back? Did you injure it or is it a chronic thing?

I think the shots went well. It was more sore this time when he was done but he said he went in further and put in more medicine. I was up and down getting sick the next day and running a fever but that seems to be gone now.

Anyway, sore today but I think that is still from the trauma of the shot. I have to remember that it has only been 3 days. I was, however, able to get some stuff done today and get off of the sofa..YEA!!
(laundry and kitchen..sigh :))

Have a great evening.
M

Debbie Petras said...

So glad you're studying the names of God too Edie. I'm joining Jill of Forever N Ever N Always. But no matter who we're doing this study with ...it's so good and very timely for me right now.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I think I have missed something, Edie. What does Nissi mean?

Tammy said...

Without Jesus I would have been defeated.

I have the Ann Spangler book but haven't started it yet. Thinking about offering to the ladies in my bible study class for our next 13 weeks of study.

Love ya,
Tammy

Andrea said...

Just stopped in to say, I hope you will stop by arise 2 write and read about the Vermont Church Plant and pray about sharing it with your church/family/friends/prayer groups/etc.
I know you are very busy. Hope you are doing well.
Hugs,
andrea

Edie said...

Elizabeth - The name "Nissi" is from the Hebrew "Nes" (nês), which means "banner" or "flee for refuge". "Nes" is also sometimes translated as a pole with an insignia attached.

My ADHD-Jo - I didn't injure it. It seems to be chronic but has never been this bad or lasted this long. I'm starting to get around a little now. Glad you're starting to feel better too. Don't we make a fine pair. LOL!