Nov 23, 2008

Overnight Zoo Adventure




I'm a bit late in posting this. I've had too much going on all at once. Last month I joined my grandaughter Olivia, and the rest of the 4th grade at her school, for an overnight field trip to the zoo. Here's the story and some pics of the trip.

The zoo was GREAT! Olivia loves animals even more than I do. I love animals a lot in case it doesn't show. So we were both pretty much in our element. The Fort Worth Zoo has a building for these overnight stays. Basically we stayed in a big room in sleeping bags and such with a partition to separate the boys from the girls. It made it like two rooms. So it was more like a very large sleep-over. There were 20-30 girls I guess. I don't think there was any point during the night that someone wasn't wiggling, giggling, or going to the bathroom.

Pizza for dinner. Then we got a night tour of the zoo which wasn't anything exciting cause there really isn't anything to see at night except some birds. Then there was a craft activity for the kids (and adults if they wanted one). Then lock down at 11:00 pm. Cold, hard floor till 6:00 am. I was actually glad to get up at 6:00 am. I even woke up at 5:50 and decided "close enough" and I am NOT a morning person. I was the 2nd person up. Was thrilled to get a cup of coffee.

After everyone was dressed, cleaned up and packed, they brought in 4 animals to show up close and personal. No touching allowed though. A baby alligator, a horn-billed bird, an indigo snake, and an opossum. The "O" is pronounced. Apparently there is a difference between an opossum and a possum. Google it, they even look different. Then we went on a quick zoo tour before the zoo opened which was cool because the animals were just getting up and felt like moving around. We were at the lions den when he came out with his Saturday morning meaty bone. He lets out a huge roar when he first comes out in the morning. Very cool to hear. The mama lion had 4 cubs with her.

After the tour the group was done and everyone went home but Olivia and I decided to stay a little longer and go see some stuff on our own. We enjoyed the day.



Edie

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." Corrie ten Boom

26 comments:

Leaon Mary said...

I loved watching your slide show Edie! I got the giggles over the COLD HARD floor. And 5:50 was close enough huh? heheoaoaoao BET THAT WAS SOME GOOOOOOD tasting coffee!

I loved all your photos, and Olivia must have been so happy her Gram came along!! ~Out of all your animal pictures, I liked the flamingos the best!! Here in Arkansas we have Opossums, but everyone still just calls em POSSUMS. heehee
Have a great night!
L

My ADHD Me said...

You are too too cool.
The pictures are great also.

And I agree that I am definitely not a morning person either.

As for this coffee thing. next time you go to the grocery store, would you mind buying a 6 pack of diet coke? I'll buy some coffee for here and that way when we visit we won't have to bring our own.

Fitts said...

Edie,

Beautiful slide, I love it! Looks like a fun outting. I love animals, so I wish I could have been there.

DeAntwan

Karen Hossink said...

An OVERNIGHT at the zoo? What fun!!!
Yeah, with that many girls I guess calling it an overnight, rather than a SLEEPover is appropriate. *grin*

Kelly said...

You win Grandmother of the year!! You are so awesome. What a blessing. I hope I am a hip grandma like you, and not just a broken hipped grandma. LOL!

Glad you had fun. Cold, hard floor - uh no. Coffee, YES!

Sharon said...

Awww looks like the kids had a blast, but I would of been like you up off that hard floor looking for the coffee pot.
Great pictures & A Great share!
Have a great week :)
Sharon

Sharon said...

What a fun group of pictures. Everyone appears to be having a great time on the outing. Sorry you had a rough night on the floor though.

I'm so glad you had such a good time with your dear granddaughter. She'll remember that for the rest of her life.

Have a beautiful day!
Love,
Sharon

PS. When I see the other Sharon has already commented, I think, "I haven't commented yet". Then I remember that I am not the only Sharon in the world lol!

Gwendolyn said...

That sounds like so much fun...except for the sleeping on the floor part! LOL

Greg C said...

Great pictures. It sounds like a great sleep over except for the hard floors. I bet your back was aching. I was once the first one into a park and I went in the water before everyone else. I was amazed at how many fish were there to see before everyone got in spashing and making noise.

Jody said...

My daughter Lauren is 9 and in the 4th grade too, but no overnights at the zoo. Just several history field trips coming up in the spring, because 4th graders are tested on New York State history. I will be learning right along with her.

From the Heart said...

A great two days must have been had by all. Thanks for sharing.
AliceE.

Alene said...

Hey girlie, you won the random give-aways. Hop on over or email me a physical address. Love ya!

debrah said...

What a blast! How great when both the adults and kids are enjoying there time together.
HAVE A BLESSED THANKSGIVING!!!!
In His Love,
Debrah

Stephanie said...

Wow that sounds like so much fun, Edie! I'm a mentor in a local program to a 9 year old girl and that age is precious. :)

Sue J. said...

I guess I was thinking overnight at the zoo would be more exciting, like certain creatures would come out that you wouldn't see during the day. Guess it was only those nocturnal kids!!

It's not a trip you forget easily, and the best part is that you were there together--very cool!

Debra Kaye said...

Edie,

What a great time with Olivia! And you are a trooper....hard floor...oh my aching back, just thinking about it! haha

Blessings to you!!

B His Girl said...

I love the good morning kisses from the deer!

The Patterson 5 said...

Yikes! It looks like you were up close and personal with those lions! Wow! Sounds like a fun adventure!

Memories your granddaughter will treasure for always!

Unknown said...

Edie,
Your granddaughter and my daughter are in the same grade! Sounded like a fun time!
By the way I got tagged so I'm forwarding the pleasure onto you. Checkout my blog!
Christy

debrah said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Thank you for being such a blessing.

Daphine said...

I LOVED your slideshow!!!! Sounds like a lot of fun had. You are way too cool. Because of my issues with animals, I don't think anyone could pay me enough to spend the night at the zoo. lol!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for sharing some moments in your life!

You are such a trooper, I'm not sure how I would cope with sleeping on a hard concrete floor. Actually I'm pretty sure I wouldnt cope at all!

Anonymous said...

I was skimming at first and thought you said a sleepover with 4year olds. I thought "what?!" 4th grade is still wild but do-able, I see.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

How fun! I love when a lion roars (and you know, thick glass and metal bars and a huge crevace are between you) but it feels like their roar goes through you! Cool feeling.

OH, and I totally learned something new! I didn't know there was a difference between a possum and an oppossum. I thought the only difference was dialect! Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend. I truly treasure you!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Edie I want to say "Thank You" for the Rich Gifts you bring to Bloggyland and to me, specifically. You always brighten my day. Be blessed. Happy Thanksgiving.

Attic Clutter said...

That looks like a fun field trip
and Olivia is a cutie..
Happy Thanksgiving EDIE(:)
hugs, Patty