Aug 29, 2008

Random Question - What quality of Christ's do you most see in yourself?

Photobucket


Wow I was plesantly suprised by the response I had to last week's question and that so many of you continued to participate throughout the week and not just on Friday. My purpose with this is just to provide a topic for discussion, help us all to turn our thoughts to the Most High God, and make a few friends along the way. I really enjoyed reading about your passions all week.

I had several questions come to mind as I wondered what I should ask this week. (BTW, I'm open to suggestions for future questions.) Here is what I decided on this week.
What quality of Christ's do you most see in yourself? Tell us about it.
If you're thinking that this is a tough one well I just have to say "me too." I thought that it would be good to put some focus on the positive and reflect on how much He has brought about in lieu of how far we still have to go.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. (Psalm 139:13-14)


And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. (Philippians 1:6)


I think the Christ-like quality I see most in myself is that I am an advocate for the underdog. It's funny but I see this played out as God's strength in my weakness. Not that I am doing any great deeds mind you, but that I will quickly step forward to stand up for someone who is being mistreated in some way, where I would endure it if it was being done to me. I hate injustice and my heart just breaks when I see someone, especially someone weaker, being crushed. That's what mistreatment does, it crushes.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in
spirit. (Psalm 34:18)


Maybe because I know how it feels to be pushed around and treated like I don't matter, and I know how it feels to have someone come alongside of me and defend me. When I was a little girl one time I was riding my bike in the neighborhood and made some new friends. One little girl had a new bike and offered to let me ride it. I left my bike with her and rode hers around the block, when I returned there was a huge commotion. Well it turned out that she and a bunch of other kids told this girls mom that I had stolen her bike.

I left them and rode my bike home crying and they followed me in their car. Apparently there was quite a ruccus as I stood in my driveway being yelled at by a car full of people, because a neighbor who lived two houses over came over to me, told off that car full of people, and made them leave. I had never met this neighbor before that day but she was my friend from then on. Her name was Debbie Sanford (so if you're out there Debbie, I remember). We have all been mistreated in our lives, and likely have not experienced being defended as much as mistreated.

I have found myself in some situations in life where another person needed to be defended, and my automatic response was to do just that. One time when I was about 17, I was at some new friends' house and was sitting next another girl my age on the couch. At one point her boyfriend, who was standing on the opposite side of me but facing us, raised his arm to hit her and without thinking, I reached up and grabbed his arm. As if I had any strength to stop him. But it caused him not to hit her.

When Christ lived as a man, He reached out to those who were being oppressed and mistreated. Those who were crushed in spirit. He was and is our advocate and Defender.

O Lord - Thank you that you do not leave us to fend for ourselves. Thank you that you do not allow the enemy to crush us. Thank you that you have brought me through these trials in order to make me more like you. I love you my God. - In Christ

Write about your Christ-like quality on your blog and include a link to this blog, then come back here and use Mr Linky to automatically link to your post. Be sure to leave a comment here too!


Photobucket

14 comments:

The Patterson 5 said...

I am so glad God called you to be the defender of the weak. Thank you for sharing your story of the ways God is working in your life!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I love the idea of this meme. I'll have to ponder and come back if I come up with a good post for this.

On Purpose said...

Passion

I just need to remember He needs to direct it...I can get of course with my passion!

Tammy said...

Please ignore #2 I messed up the URL.

Great question!

Edie said...

Thanks everyone for joining us this week as we evaluate ourselves to see what Christ-like qualities He has developed in us.

Tammy - I deleted the uncooperative link. ;)

Nancie said...

Thank God for calling you to be an advocate for the weak! Your love and compassion for God's suffering children reflects the love and mercies of God. May God continue to bless your labours of love! Take care and have a blessed weekends!

My ADHD Me said...

I'm going to have to think about this. Not even sure if I am able to participate in these random questions, (how's that for gratitude!). It's just that I have spent many years building up a safe wall around myself. Although at times, a few of the stones have started to crumble, I eventually come back with mortar and brick and build it back up.
I can laugh with you( "you" meaning people in general), chat with you, Drag you out of your wrecked car and even crawl into your house if it is in flames to save you.
That stuff is easy.....but open up my heart???? let on to my feelings??? Not quite there yet!

It is a great question though, and one I will think on...

Sue J. said...

You shared a very powerful story here, Edie, AND an AWESOME question! Am really enjoying your thought-triggers!!

Kathryn said...

Edie, what a provoking question! As I read your post, the first word that came to my mind was "compassion", and I think it ties directly in with your reflection.

I, too, despise unrighteousness and injustice! It breaks my heart to witness others being mistreated, manipulated, exploited, abused, or otherwise taken advantage of, ESPECIALLY if others are profiting from the violation.

My face is getting all flushed just thinking about it!

Kelly said...

Okay, Edie (aka Rhonda!). I've left my posting. I had a hard time with this one. It was tough. Lots of self-reflection involved. I have decided I am not Christ-like enough! oh my. More work to do!

Thanks for the post. You've become a fast friend in our network, and I'm glad you are a part of it!!

Eve said...

I think mine might be the ability to create. I have a creative mind and have been able to come up with solutions to people's problems by just brain storming for a while. It might not seem on first glance as good an attibute to have as some of the other Christ-like traits but it was our first knowledge of him, when he created the world so I am glad he gave me this ability. I am a creator, like my Father.

bo said...

The list to choose from is endless but I humbly think that my most Christ-like quality is generosity. Other qualities I have to work at but it's almost as though this one is inbred in me.

Debra said...

Edie,
I've seen your comments hither and yon, and finally got to the source...I'm excited about meeting another artist/creative person who is foremost a Christian. I guess this isn't really a proper place to comment like this because I'm off topic, but I'll come back.
Love, Debra

Kelly said...

....Let the walls fall down, let the walls fall down, let the walls fall down, by his love let the walls fall down.

(Bricks & mortar - ha! No match for Jesus).

Great job, this Random Question Friday.