Feb 23, 2009

Which Road?

Early in my walk with Christ, there was a period of time when I was waiting tables. During that time there was a particular season where a number of customers would ask me if I was saved, or going to heaven, or something to that effect. I would answer yes and they would say "Are you sure?" or "How do you know?", something like that. These were different customers, they didn't know each other, and it would happen at different times.

To be perfectly honest, it was getting on my nerves. I was a Christian. I knew that I was going to heaven. So why were these people, who didn't know me, questioning my salvation? What made them think I wasn't a Christian? I wasn't doing anything sinful, so what was the deal?

One day I was waiting on a couple and at some point they asked if I was a Christian. I said I was and went back to doing my job. The next time I went to their table, the man had left the table to use the restroom, and the lady told me that what prompted the question was that they had been trying to decide if I was or wasn't a Christian. She said that her husband didn't think I was, but she thought so all along. I'm wondering now if they didn't have a little wager on it. :)

I am sure she told me this to encourage me, but what stayed with me was that this man didn't think I was a Christian. Neither one of them knew for sure, they were just guessing.

But aren't Christians supposed to look different than unbelievers? Shouldn't we stand out? Isn't that what the Bible says?

“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14
So I began to ask God "If I'm supposed to look like a light in darkness, why can't people see the difference?"

I began to think about what it says in Matthew...


"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and
narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matthew 7:14
From where I stood, I could only see one road, and it looked like a very wide road with a lot of people on it. Where was that other road and why didn't I look like I was on it. Even though I was a Christian, I realized that I didn't look much different than those who were not. It wasn't what I was doing that was the problem, but more the things I wasn't doing. Right then I asked God to put me on that narrow road and make sure I was not on the wide one. This ushered me into a serious spiritual growing stage and an even deeper relationship with my God.

I am certainly still a work in progress, but I can see both roads and which one I'm on. I'm so thankful that God put all those people in my path to bring this to my attention.

So what does your road look like?

Edie

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind ~ Luke 10:27

23 comments:

Joyfulsister said...

Hi sis,
Lord knows I too am a work in progress, I kinda have a feeling we will be that way till we go home to be with the Lord. All I can do is strive ot do my best and allow him to do the rest, Just like our Bro Paul in the bible. People are funny at times and say things thst leave us questioning ourselves at times. But like the bible says..man sees us from the outside only, where as the Lord looks at our hearts. Thanks for your prayers, Due to my chronic illness my fatigued seems to be taken a toll on my body. I know I need to rest more, but I sometimes try to do too much and pay for it later.

Hugz Lorie

Greg C said...

I think we are all works in progress but I also believe that people can see it in you when you are a believer. I can usually tell when someone truly believes. Sometimes though people say they are Christians but I have my doubts. They go through some of the motions but their actions speak louder than words. I can see that you are a great person and a believer.

B His Girl said...

Yes, Edie this does go with my post...You are the branch. Obviously you are an interesting chic that enquiring minds want to know about. Interesting thoughts. I answered your question on my blog to help if anyone else has the same question. Hope it is clear. I can't wait to shop for a prize. B

Mary Moss said...

You've definitely offered some food for thought:-)

Jody said...

God is good to use people in our life to bring our attention to Him. Great thoughts.

Sue J. said...

When something happens more than once these days, I really start asking God about it. Was that for me to see something? What? I know You're here......

It would seem that He desired for you to take another step forward in your growing faith, and how beautifully He did (and is) directing you in those steps!

Beverlydru said...

I honestly don't think you can know from Looking at someone with your physical eyes whether they are a Christian. Now, once you interact and talk and such, that gives you a chance for discernment. I'm glad that this series of questions spurred you forward though. : )
I have a technical question. What gadget in blogger gives you that little window (like on your left column) that has the code in it that people can copy and paste? I know how to generate that code and I know how to place a tag. But I want that little window thingy for people to get my Everyday Epiphanies button. Thanks in advance if you have the answer. : )

Runner Mom said...

I will always be a work in progress! At times, the road I'm on is narrow. During other seasons, it's a bit wider. I simply know that I am His, and I need to spend more time knowing Him so that I will look more like Him!

Love ya,
Susan

~Tracy~ said...

Edie:

This is soooo good! I feel my heart crying to the Lord to put me on the narrow road. (From the inside out...)

Love you,
Tracy

~Tracy~ said...

Edie:

This is soooo good! I feel my heart crying to the Lord to put me on the narrow road. (From the inside out...)

Love you,
Tracy

~Tracy~ said...

Edie:

This is soooo good! I feel my heart crying to the Lord to put me on the narrow road. (From the inside out...)

Love you,
Tracy

Larie Carlice Proverbs 27:19 said...

Edie this is a great cause for reflection. Thanks

smooches,
Larie

From the Heart said...

A great post. The Lord has brought me so much closer to Him since my surgery in 1999. There's a song, He's still working on me, to make me what I ought to be. It took Him just a week to make the moon and stars, The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars. How loving and patient He must be, He's still working on me. That's the chorus. There's two verses.
I will try to post it on my blog.
Blessings,
AliceE.

The Equipped Life said...

A wonderful post, Edie. I'm so glad that you allowed their comments to send you to the Word, instead of becoming angry and responding differently. Thank you for the little peeps into your walk with God.

My ADHD Me said...

What I find amazing is how often God talks to you and you hear him...because you are listening. I wonder how often he is repeating himself over and over to me when I'm not listening.

Kathy Schwanke said...

Edie, you just bless my socks off with your visits and comments. I find it so amazing that so many asked you that question in the restraunt...it means they are serious about their faith!

I love the simple answer at the end of your post. (Jesus' summary of the law and the prophets). That is what it looks like! Love the Lord and love His people!

Kathy Schwanke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy Champagne said...

Wow, great insight. That's a huge kick in the pants to know that someone questioned your salvation without knowing. But maybe God put those people there to make you think and get you ready to be that light He needed you to be. The big picture here is: you listened. Look at ya now! We're all blessed because of it. Thanks!

The Patterson 5 said...

Wow! Edie, that was powerful! I am thankful God has you on this narrow road where you are sharing so much of yourself with us to help us along our paths. You are indeed a blessing to me!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Sweetie, I don't think there is any way a person could mistake now which road you are on. Your heart bears the love of Christ like few others, and I'm so glad to know you!

I totally agree with your last statement to me: I think I'm going to LOVE spending eternity in heaven with you! :-)

Kathryn said...

Edie, we are so on the same road! (The narrow one, my sister!) :-) I love how God so often has us majoring on the same Truths at the same time!

Thank you for sharing about your incident in the park yesterday. Happens to the best of us, doesn't it?! So glad you got a cyber-hug out of "Good Mourning". :-)

By the way, I'm sure the way your reaction in the park yesterday was a wonderful testimony for Christ, and I'm sure people knew you were "different" just in the way you handled yourself and your granddaughter. I had another opportunity to bear witness yesterday, too, ... when my internet crashed as well as my entire desktop (beyond restoration)! I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to kick the computer before my watching daughter and 18-year-old nephew. But, by the grace of God, I didn't. And, He blessed me with a visit from a new neighbor, who just happens to be a computer engineer (although I had no idea until yesterday what he did for a living), and who just happened to come over last evening after a long day at work to rebuild my system for me. Thank You, Lord! :-)

Leaon Mary said...

"people" are "funny," arent' they?
I'm glad the Lord directed your next steps closer toward Him because sometimes I've found in my own past that when "people"- especially "christian people" have *said* certain things... they sometimes can turn us off.
I don't think anyone can just look at someone and "know" if they are or aren't a Christian, but usually it doesn't take long "listening" to a person and watching them to KNOW THEIR FRUIT.
I've been bad to "label" and judge people in times past. For instance.. to look at some huge guy in head to toe black leather, and tattooed to the hilt, I'm tempted to steer away.. yet that man might be an amazing man of God, on fire for the Lord, and leading people left and right to Jesus Christ.
Thanks for reminding me of this today Edie. YOU, are a city on a hill.
Holykisses,
Lea

Marla said...

I know that I am a work in progress. Sometimes I wonder if God sees me seeking him. I know he does but I keep praying to experience him more. Sometimes I think I look to hard and miss the opportunity. I get confused sometimes.