Oct 28, 2009

Taking Every Thought Captive

I have always been drawn to things mysterious so it's not surprising that in my youth and as a young adult, I became involved in things of an occult nature. Many of us have played with a Ouiji board at some time in our lives thinking it was a harmless game. Then there are the *innocent* séances that kids, teens, and sometimes even adults will have when a group gets together and start talking about all things mysterious. By the way, using a Ouiji board is a form of a séance.

These things held an interest for me and I looked into a variety of occult practices. I have had my palm read and did some studying in palmistry. I studied a little numerology and looked into the power of crystals. I touched on witchcraft, white witchcraft of course because I didn't want to do anything evil. White witchcraft, I was told, is the kind that is only used for good, black witchcraft is the evil kind. Fortunately I didn't step into the realm of witchcraft but if the culture had been what it is now, I'm sure I would have.

I studied astrology in depth and learned how to create an astrological chart and how to read it. I was always looking at where the planets were and how they lined up with the planets in my chart and how they were affecting my life. Much of the astrology that I learned and practiced is still embedded in my mind and comes to the forefront when I see someone's astrological sign even though I push that thought right back out. But what's the harm in reading your daily horoscope? After all it's just for fun. So does that make it okay? By the way, did you know that your blogger profile displays your astrological (zodiac) sign unless you specify that it doesn't?

I also learned to read Tarot cards and have been to a number of psychics. Most that I went to knew very little and I found to be a waste of my money, but there were a few who knew their stuff. Oh they weren't 100% accurate but a lot of their predictions came to pass. One of the ladies I went to on several occasions, kept a picture of Jesus sitting on her table and prayed before each reading. I also used to pray in Jesus Name before I would give myself a reading. Did that make it okay? If I was doing it in Jesus' Name then did it insure that my readings were not coming from an evil source, and that I wasn't participating in evil?

That's what I thought. That's what I believed. But as I continued to read my Bible, I found many references to such things and I took them to heart.

“When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord." Deuteronomy 18:9-12
Psalm 47 makes references to astrologers.

It became clear that even though I was doing all of it in Jesus Name and covering it all in prayer, I was still participating in an evil practice. It didn't feel or look evil in my opinion, but God didn't ask my opinion, He showed me what His Word says. I could choose to obey or disobey. I had to ask myself what was more important, continuing in my long-time practices or pleasing God? I gathered up all of my books and supplies and tossed them all in the dumpster.

Even the simple reading a daily horoscope just for fun is participation in astrology. That alone makes it evil according to God's Word. The spiritual battle is very real. It's at the point where a sin or an evil appears fun and innocent that the devil gains his foothold, and he will do everything he can to keep his foot in that door. And as long as he has his foot in the door, he will attack not only the person who gave him the foothold, but their children, and spouse, and grandchildren. The only way to prevent or stop that attack is to close the door.

...do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:27
You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. Psalm 5:4
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5




Definitions:

A Ouija board, also known as spirit board or talking board, is a flat board marked with letters, numbers, and other symbols, theoretically used to communicate with spirits. Ouija is a trademark for a talking board currently sold by Parker Brothers.

A séance is an attempt to communicate with spirits.

Palmistry (“divination”), is the art of characterization and foretelling the future through the study of the palm, also known as palm reading.

Numerology is any of many systems, traditions or beliefs in a mystical or esoteric relationship between numbers and physical objects or living things. Numerology and numerological divination were popular among early mathematicians.

Witchcraft, in various historical, anthropological, religious and mythological contexts, is the use of certain kinds of supernatural or magical powers.

Astrology is a group of systems, traditions, and beliefs which hold that the relative positions of celestial bodies and related details can provide information about personality, human affairs, and other terrestrial matters.

Tarot reading revolves around the belief that the cards can be used to gain insight into the current and possible future situations of the subject. Some believe they are guided by a spiritual force.


Edie

"A girl needs to be so lost in God, that the guy is going to have to seek HIM to find her!" ...Maya Angelou

21 comments:

Andrea said...

Very informative. I grew up sheltered from most of this and it simply has not been a part of our lives. I suppose I don't think too much about it which could be good or maybe bad.

Hope you have a wonderful week!
andrea

Kelly said...

Edie - even as a young girl I was afraid of all this stuff. As an adult, I once attended a black tie event where they were reading palms. Everyone was doing it, but I refused as I believe it to be evil.

"It didn't feel or look evil in my opinion, but God didn't ask my opinion." I love that sentence, because this entirely encapsulates the problem with today's Christian. We take out what we dont' like. If we get to choose, I vote we remove that submission policy. :-)

Awesome post!

By the way, if you feel led to the spiritual occult, it may be that you have the gift of Biblical Prophesy. (The devil trys to steal and confuse our gifts!) Ask God to let you know if that is your gift and use it to his glory!

Marsha said...

Excellent post, Edie! I'm amazed how many Christians allow themselves to get sucked into the occult! I won't even give a horoscope the time of day.

I believe that God is Sovereign and in control. If He wanted me to know the future He would've made me able to see it. Instead He chooses to ask us to have faith and trust Him.

Blessings.

RCUBEs said...

I used to love reading the horoscopes long time ago, before becoming a Christian and thought it was fun. I was also captivated with those shows that talk to the dead and described them to the living ones anticipating how these dead loved ones are doing now.
How I cried when I became a born again and had read His Word! But the battle became more real as I really experienced a spiritual battle that happened within my own family. My brother had married someone who was involved in a cult. What protection we have from the Lord! All I'm going to say is how powerful truly is the Name Jesus that enemies flee even if I was just whispering His Name! Thank You Lord! I asked the Lord this morning what He wanted me to post for Him. I sensed it was more about "discernment" so that's what I did before coming over here. Then, here you are talked about these evil things. May we be focused on His leading! God bless you sister Edie and may you have a wonderful week ahead!

LisaShaw said...

Hey precious! I haven't been by in a while and so glad I visited today.

Informative and powerful message! Much I could add about where I was at as a Teen with astrology BUT praise the LORD He delivered me from it quickly thereafter!

I love you girl and love the new blog look!

LisaShaw said...

P.S. I think it's important for Christians who are walking in truth on a particular subject to share truth without condemnation. Without saying what we would or would not ever do because truth is while we may not have done one thing we've surely done something else in our time and to reach people for CHRIST we have to be willing to share CHRIST and His delivering power so I want to thank you Edie for sharing in a way that will bring deliverance to someone who will read your message and not condemnation. You surely SHINE JESUS!

I LOVE YOU GIRL!

Kathy Schwanke said...

Thank you Edie! I have been lead all over cyberspace the last few days concerning these very things that the church in America has compromised with...Glory to God for your obedience when you saw His word!

I, like Kelly, have always had a natural aversion (fear) of all things occult, and extra sensitive to it, so would "flee". But even as a believer with deep convictions, over the years, my convictions have eroded in areas due to the acceptance among the larger Body of Believers...God has been reminding me of "the things I did at first".

Intresting that you posted this the week of Halloween, and after I just read this article: http://www.logosresourcepages.org/Holidays/halloween.htm#THE%20HARM%20OF%20HALLOWEEN

I have never read such a good explanation of the roots or of the things involved in the holiday, but it sure reaffirmed to me that it is something I and my family should continue to abstain from for the glory of God.

The Bible says that without holiness no one will see the Lord. Any aligning of ourselves with things that are an abomonation to the Lord separates us from Him.

Thanks again for your encouragement to be pure and obedient!

Leaon Mary said...

I agree with Lisa, I think it's important to speak the truth like this without condemning; and you did do a great job!!

The word of God does NOT lie. I think alot of people have no idea that these things are spoken of in the bible. You and I have had some good chats about some of these topics and then some! ;) AND I SOOOOOOOOOO LOVE YOU FOR IT.

Holykisses my dear friend!

Sue J. said...

I remember using a Ouija board on a Girl Scout overnight in our church's chapel. I had no idea what it was, and I was so naive, that I'm sure I participated without understanding what the other girls were doing. It all seem really dumb.

Now, I know it's not dumb, it's "detestable" per the Bible, and that's a pretty strong word.

This is a great explanatory post for those who may not consider such things evil...even the casual reading of a "horrorscope."

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! I, too, used to read horoscopes and numerology reports. I wanted to go get my palm read or see a psychic but never did... and when I read in the Bible that God says it's evil and to not do it - I've stopped reading horoscopes (not that I was all that in to it). Great post... and PS: LOVE the book! Thank you!!

Jackie said...

Hey Edie! Wonderful and timely post! Oh, how dangerous it is to even entertain the things of the enemy! And how wonderful that we have been set free through the Blood of Jesus! Thank you for sharing - I know He will use your testimony to set many captives free! Glory to God!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Heart2Heart said...

Edie,

You and I are more alike than I would have imagined. Did all the things you described while growing up in high school but honestly it wasn't until I was saved that I really took a hard look at all the things I was doing. Your scripture references are right on target!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Kathy Schwanke said...

Also Edie, have you noticed how the satanically inspired Twilight movie has opened the door to so many swooning over vampires?

If moms (believing or unbelieving) would only look up "vampires" on wikipedia and see that they are demons that invade corpses, then they would understand that there are NO "good vampires", and would be vehemently opposed to a human falling in love with one...

Woe to those who call evil good and good evil...

(I believe Jesus weeps at the lack of discernment in His people today~and equally rejoices when we do discern!)

Certainly we are not helping our culture turn to God by being in love with what the world loves...and promoting occult practices by being entertained by them.

I keep thinking of the verse: "Have NOthing to do with the foolish deeds of darkness, but rather expose them." May the Lord forgive us and give us the grace to turn away from evil and love good.

KrippledWarrior said...

I have been an insatiable reader all my life. I once read "The Book Of Ancient And Forbidden Knowledge" The title was like a dare.
The chapter on How to raise the dead, held the clues that made me call a BS. First there was no incantation to put them back when you were done. And second; There were about six paragraphs on the secret words Christ used to raise Lazarus, and I knew it was Who spoke, not what he said, that mattered. And I wasn't a believer then. Isn't it amazing how far into depravity God will reach out to take us back.

Heidi said...

Edie, this is an excellent post illuminating the truth of God's word. What it has me reflecting on is all the reading Fash and I have been doing in the Old Testament- all the prophets who seemingly wasted their breath giving out all those warnings and prophecies, as noone seemed to be listening. The topic often centered on the wrongdoing of "borrowing" from the neighboring lands their religious practices. It is so similar today- people are so easily led into the wrong. Why does it look so much better than what God offers us? I wonder.

When I was young, we weren't properly instructed on the gameboards you spoke of and the crazy 8 ball and tarot cards etc. I became convicted of the truth by reading the Bible when I was an adult.

Kelly said...

Oh no, I did the crazy 8 ball. Does that count? I knew it was really real, I just thought that was "fun." Oh dear. I hate it when that happens.

My 10 yr old today asked me today if it was okay to "play" good witches. I pulled this post up and we talked about some of it. Thanks for the timely post!

Prophetic timing? Hmmm.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Excellent post Edie. I always had a facination for the cooult also. Neveer went far into though, only because other interests came up. Haven't thought about this in years. Thanks for the explanations and the scriptures. I love reading honest post and can always count on you!

Tammy said...

This was great! Between the Ouija board, seance, and my daily horoscope my life was going down a dark path.

A lot of good information.

Love and Hugs~Tammy
p.s. Cinderella only wear her makeup on the set. She was a much stronger woman ;)

Karen Hossink said...

But God didn't ask my opinion.
That's it, Edie!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience and your testimony of God showing you the Truth. Can't argue with His Word. Just obey.

Ahhh, I loved this post. Thank you!

Laura said...

A powerful testimony, and very timely. I have just posted on the tradition of Halloween, but failed to mention the harm these seemingly innocent practices can do. Very blessed by being her tonight. So thankful you were rescued.

Beverlydru said...

Wow- God has safely delivered you from a lot of mess... last post, JW and then all this darkness. He surely does love you! What a powerful testimony and very timely. People flirt with danger and just don't realize how the enemy is exceedingly cunning. Thank God He always causes us to triumph in Christ Jesus.
Looking to Him,
Beverly