Oct 20, 2009

The Water's Edge

I've been thinking a lot about how God rescued the Israelites from their bondage to slavery in Egypt. First, He led them on the longer route because they might change their minds and go back to Egypt if they faced war along the shorter route.
When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." Exodus 13:17
So God chose to lead them on the desert road to the Red Sea. He told Moses exactly where they should camp...
"Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon." Exodus 14:2
...and His reason for leading them there.
"Pharaoh will think, 'The Israelites are wandering around the land in confusion, hemmed in by the desert.' And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and he will pursue them. But I will gain glory for myself through Pharaoh and all his army, and the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD." Exodus 14:3-4
God strategically placed them in this vulnerable position where they would not be able to go back to Egypt, where they would not be able to run, where they would not be able to do anything. Then God caused Pharaoh's heart to be hard so that he would go after the Israelites. The Israelites were terrified. I can imagine they were in a bit of a panic as Pharaoh's army advanced toward them. They called out to God to save them and they had questions.

  • Why did you bring us out here?
  • Did you rescue us to have us die in the desert?
  • Why didn't you leave us where we were?

Moses instructed the people to do three things because God was going to fight for them and gain glory for Himself.

  • Do not be afraid.
  • Stand firm.
  • Be still.

The Israelites were still terrified, and if they had not been pinned in, it's not likely they would have been still. But God was in all of the details. He had a plan and a purpose from the start of their journey and He would see it through to the end. You know what happened. God performed a miracle to save the Israelites.

Are you at the water's edge?

God didn't tell the Israelites to come up with plans and strategies for their situation. Yes, God gave us the ability to think through our situations and search for logical solutions to our problems, and most often that is where we can find Him working in our lives as we trust Him to orchestrate our circumstances. But sometimes He wants to defy logic. Sometimes He hems us in and says
"Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today... The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:13-14


Edie

"A girl needs to be so lost in God, that the guy is going to have to seek HIM to find her!" ...Maya Angelou

19 comments:

Tammy said...

I love your insight!

I'm always amazed how God loves the Israelites with all their disbelief. Come to think of it, I'm amazed that He love me with all my disbelief when time get tough.

Laurie said...

Hi Edie,
What an incredible post! I do feel hemmed in during this season, probably more so than any other season and yet, I relate to your post in that it is God's doing. I am thankful that He knows how to keep us from running and running back to old stuff:) I am also excited about your upcoming participation in Titus 2!
Love, Laurie

Kelly said...

God always has a plan, yet it is usually one we can't understand the hows or whys. I'm so glad he does. For his glory!

Great words today Edie.

Sue J. said...

And He doesn't just have a plan, He has this AMAZING plan! So carefully thought through, on His part. I like to think that I'm a thorough planner, but God will catch me getting so stuck in my own details that I miss some things He is trying to show me in the process.

Being still and hemmed in is not a course of inaction. In fact, it might take a GREAT AMOUNT of action on our parts to heed His direction.

Thanks for casting a familiar story in a new light this morning!

Andrea said...

When I am at the waters edge, HE is always teaching me something....usually more about fully trusting HIM in "all" things.

Blessings, andrea

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh Edie, as always the Lord has such perfect timing...and this time He used you to speak to me.

I am at the water's edge.

That last quote in Exodus 14 made my eyes tear. Thank you for listening so intently and being obedient to write what you hear. The Lord has blessed me today because of you.

Yolanda said...

God's love and care is so amazing. To think, that He fights for me, and it is so...He fights the evil one...for me and for you. What amazing love!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

RCUBEs said...

Egypt is bondage...God delivered the Israelites from it, the way He wants us delivered from any "Egypt" in our lives. What a wonderful post you shared! God bless.

Heart2Heart said...

Edie,

I am thankful on some many occasions I see myself at the water's edge. It is a reminder to me to look at the reflection and see God and all that He can do for me if only I turn and trust Him.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

From the Heart said...

This is something I needed to hear. With all that is happening in the world and changes that are trying to be made that will affect senior citizins, it has had me in a world spin. The Lord has been telling me through others not to worry. He has always taken care of us and I know He will if all of this takes place. We can't see the future so we just have to have faith that God is still in control and will continue to take care of His children.
Blessings to you,
Luv u,
AliceE.

B His Girl said...

I love this Edie. It is an 'only God' time in their life. I want to say it is in those times we never forget the power of our God but that is not true. They forgot His power not long after they walked through the walls of water. We do the same thing.
Oh God...have mercy on us who forget all our water's edges. You have always been great and alway will be.
I feel like boasting in Him!!!! Thanks for stirring the waters Edie. Love,B

Jackie said...

Hey Edie,
Wonderful post! If we stay with Him and follow His leading we will always be led to "higher" ground! He is faithful and trustworthy - always!
Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Leaon Mary said...

That's goodstuff Edie! I love what God showed you through the Israelites.
DON'T BE AFRAID
STAND FIRM.. AND WE'LL SEE GOD'S DELIVERANCE. THE LORD'S FIGHTING FOR ME... I JUST NEED TO BE STILL.

PEACE comes... reading this tonight.
Thanks Edie!!
Holykisses xoxo

Karen Hossink said...

Mmmmm. I love this story of God's deliverance!
Makes me confident that I can trust Him. And even when it seems I'm on the longer road - when I think the shorter one would be better - this passage reminds me God has a perfect plan.

Thanks for reminding me.

Beth Herring said...

May I venture INTO the water with Him.

Great post Edie!

Kathryn said...

Great post, Edie ... and very timely. The Lord has had me on the same topic! :-)

Heidi said...

This is excellent. It goes against our every instinct of the natural man to be still.

God is at work in each of our lives. Oh for grace to trust Him more- as the song says.

Greg C said...

I loved this post Edie. It is so fitting for our present situation. Patients Greg, Patients.

Beverlydru said...

Hi Edie! YAY indeed.
You got it! It is extremely gratifying when my heart is struggling to get something onto paper and then I get confirmation that it was communicated. Thank you for that today! I write in my other post on fear about how it's like a fog. Then I read on someone's blog that FOG is Favor of God. How timely. Another example of hte great exchange- trading fear for faith.